Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cream Puffs

I made the most delicious cream puffs ever.  I can't believe how good they turned out for my first try. I made them bite sized, good thing too because Taylor ate quite a few.  I asked them how they were and he gave them two thumbs up !!  I guess that means they are good.  I filled them with a vanilla custard.  To die for !! and drizzled chocolate over the top of them.  Yum-O !!  Both the cream puffs and the custard were very easy to make.  I wasn't sure if I would like the custard, I thought it would taste to much like a vanilla pudding, but it didn't.  I can't explain it, it was thicker, richer, creamier tasting.  I guess you'll just have to make it and try it for yourself !!  You won't be disappointed. 

The recipe came from a torn out page from a magazine, which magazine, I have no idea.  I need to start writing the name of the magazine on the recipes so I can give credit where credit is do !!


Cream Puffs
Ingredients:
1 cup water

1/2 cup butter

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon salt

4 eggs

Heat oven to 375ºF. In 2 1/2-quart saucepan, heat water and butter to rolling boil. Stir in flour and salt all at once. Reduce heat to low. Stir vigorously over low heat about 1 minute or until mixture forms a ball; remove from heat. Wait 5 minutes. With handheld mixer, beat in eggs, one at a time; continue beating until smooth. On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls about 3 inches apart. I put mine in a gallon size ziploc bag with corner snipped and piped mounds onto the cookie sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool away from draft, about 30 minutes.  To fill each puff;  fill a large pastry bag with the custard mixture and pipe custard into the puff !!
 
Vanilla Custard Filling
 
2 1/2 c. milk

5 egg yolks

3/4 c. sugar

2/3 c. sifted all purpose flour

2 tbsp. butter

1 tbsp. vanilla
 
Beat egg yolks and sugar in a large sauce pan. Beat in flour until well mixed. Turn sauce pan on medium-high heat gradually beat in milk.  Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and comes to boiling, lower heat. Mixture will be lumpy in the beginning, but lumps disappear during cooking and stirring. Continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes, over low heat, stirring constantly. Mixture will be quite thick. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Place a piece of wax paper directly on surface of filling to prevent skin from forming. Chill at least 2 hours. If filling becomes too stiff after it's chilled, gradually stir in 2 to 4 tablespoons cream or milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. To make chocolate filling following the directions for Vanilla Custard Filling, adding 3 squares unsweetened chocolate to milk, stirring until melted. Continue with rest of recipe. Fill puffs just before serving.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE cream puffs and yours look wonderful. I usually use vanilla pudding to fill the cream puffs I have made in the past, but I am going to give your recipe a go. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummy! These look so so good. I've been wanting to try to make cream puffs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were actually really easy to make. I think the custard was really really good, but I bet vanilla pudding would be wonderful also !!

    ReplyDelete